Tuesday, March 5, 2013

CAKE


Zonderkids sent me “Cake – Love, chickens, and a taste of peculiar” free of charge, in exchange for my unbiased opinion.  “Cake…” is a young adult Christian fiction book written by Joyce Magnin.  It reminds me of the Beverly Cleary  books that I read when I was young…kinda crazy and really fun to read.

In “Cake…” Wilma Sue learns about real love.  She is an orphan who has been in and out of foster homes A LOT.  She is very hesitant to believe that anyone could love her.  She was notorious for pulling pranks and was accused of doing something that she actually did not do.  She was afraid she wouldn’t be believed, solely because she was an orphan, and would be sent back to the orphanage. 

Wilma Sue’s foster parents, Ruth and Naomi (a couple of missionary sisters), bake cakes for people who are sick, sad, afraid, and even one who is a gossip.  The cakes seem to help “fix” their problems.  Wilma Sue performs her own little investigation to find out what the “special” ingredient is…to no avail.  SO FUN!

As a retired 5th grade teacher, I was DEFINITELY impressed with this book.  I would recommend it as a fun read for my students or any young one… And I liked it too as just a FUN relaxing break in my day. Good book, Joyce!!

No comments:

Post a Comment